Reasons you need to stop what you’re doing and start watching Steven Universe immediately:
- - It was created by Rebecca Sugar, who formerly worked on Adventure Time, and is the first EVER female-created show in Cartoon Network history.
- - Three awesome female superheroes, all complex and flawed.
- - Steven himself, also complex and flawed.
- - DIVERSITY and DIFFERENCE. An animated world where not all the characters are white is a bigger deal than it should be in 2014. Likewise an animated world that recognises unique family structures (Steven lives with the Gems instead of his father) and body diversity. All the Gems—who again are female superheroes—have very different body shapes, and one is not portrayed as “better” than any of the others.
- - The songs! Like, if you can listen to this & not get it stuck your head for ages afterwards, you are a robot.
- - Pearl = me. I tried to ignore it, but then she blew a fuse while explaining how ridiculous a swordfighting movie was, and realised that I do the same thing when my friends try to explain to me that the chupacabra is real.
- - That has happened more than once.
- - CHUPACABRA IS NOT REAL THAT IS TOTALLY INSANE.
Basically: watch this show. It’s super great.